Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Mad Men

Mr. and I really want to start watching Mad Men, but we have not seen the first two seasons.... We are currently tivo'ing season 3 with the hopes of watching at some point, but sitting down to catch up on seasons 1 & 2 don't seem too likely. Something about having a 6 month old cuts into tv time.

Here is my question... could we start watching with season 3 and know what is going on? I know a lot of blogland is crazy about the show, so maybe you all could give me some sites to help get caught up.

16 Additional Thoughts:

Susan D. said...

I love this show - everything from the characters and writing to the costumes and set. I would try to go back and watch it from the beginning. You could probably jump in and still love it, but I know my husband is in the same boat as you. We have season 2 DVR'ed so he still needs to watch it before watching this season. Do you know if it's on HBO on Demand through your cable company?

Classy Fab Sarah said...

I think you definitely need to see the first 2 seasons to understand kind of the back-themes on a lot of it... but you could watch the 3rd and still enjoy it, in my opinion.

I just love Mad Men!

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

You could but really, I'd see the first few seasons first. All the little undertones and relationships will make a lot more sense. The "who's who" would be easier to follow.

Enjoy it, I love that show!

Jenn said...

I LOVE Mad Men. And bloggers and columnists love to deconstruct this show, so there's plenty out there. There are so many subtleties in the show that I read several recaps the next day just to see what I missed. Alan Sepinwall's blog is my favorite.

Season 1:
http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/search/label/Mad%20Men%20%28season%201%29

Season 2:
http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/search/label/Mad%20Men%20season%202

Start at the bottom of each page, obvs.

Jenn said...

And PS, I definitely wouldn't recommend just diving in without getting some background. It's a pretty complex show (but so worth it).

Unknown said...

I don't know of any good blog sites, but you would definitely need some filling in. Its a little crazy sometimes, but so good!

Denim and Pearls said...

You've got to start from the beginning. Otherwise you'll be totally confused - there are so many subtle references and the way that the characters interact that you just wouldn't get unless you've seen it the whole way through.

Also, I'd love to get together if possible - I'm in North Dallas from 12/23-27!

Canadian Preppy said...

I have watched the first 2 seasons, and I don't think that you really need to watch every episode to understand what is going on. I do however think that if you want every episode you will be able to appreciate the show as a whole more.

Shannon said...

I think you should start from the beginning. There are some sub-plots that will make more sense if you see everything. We've rented from netflix and it doesn't take that long to catch up. Plus it really is a fun show to watch.

When you've caught up to season 3, I'm sure you can find a Saturday or Sunday when they're doing a marathon and get yourselves up to speed.

That being said, if you just can't wait, you can just jump in and ask me questions since I've officially watched every single episode :) Which is RARE for me because I'm not a tv watcher!

PinkSass said...

I've been wondering the same thing. I wish P and I would have started watching from the start.

Princess Freckles said...

I don't know of any sites, but I would suggest watching the first two seasons. Mostly because they're great, but also because you'll understand the characters better.

Amanda M said...

Hmm, I would say, having watched the first two seasons and now watching season 3, I think there is a lot you have to know to have it all make sense, but they do refer back and you could probably figure it out. It's such a good show, the first two seasons are worth watching for the quality alone!

Alison said...

I think you could start if you wanted to! If you go to AMC, there are descriptions of each episode. However, so much of the show is the clothes, the language, the scenery, so you might want to get used to that with a few initial episodes in season one first (?) Either way, it is a fun, but sometimes dark, show to enjoy together!

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Heather Warren said...

while you are missing out on the fab first 2 seasons, you won't be totally lost starting in season 3. Netflix them if u have the time. They are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Deffinently watch the first 2 seasons. I am finishing season 2 through netflix right now. It is a great show.

Maggie said...

Honestly, I think you should start from the beginning. They're on Netflix, so at least you can keep them around forever until you have time to watch!

 
custom blog design