I am a photography snob. I don’t like studio pictures. I don’t like props. I don’t like the “put your hand on his shoulder and tilt your head” poses. I don’t like the photo collages they try to con you into buying. And I definitely don’t like the cheesy backgrounds. I would much rather get quality, nice pictures done once a year, versus going to a cheap-o picture place every couple of months.
That being said, Saturday morning started bright and early with some family pictures. My parents won this photo session at a charity silent auction, so at least the money went to a good cause. And yes, these were studio pictures. The “studio” was a tiny, cramped and hot 9x9 bedroom at the photographer’s house. They husband and wife team took our lead and only did the poses that I suggested. The only pictures that were taken were when A was looking (and smiling) directly at the camera. If you have ever tried to photograph a 7 mo old, then you know that they are constantly on the move. And it was HOT. I mean, dripping in sweat hot. Plus, they wanted us to pose in front of a grey and blue marble-esq background. Gag me. (I had her switch it over to a solid white background)
We have to go back in 2 weeks to look at the pictures. At the photographers house. Um...… How will I be able to criticize the pictures when the photographer is in the same room with us? Hopefully we got a couple of good shots. Cross your fingers.
That being said, Saturday morning started bright and early with some family pictures. My parents won this photo session at a charity silent auction, so at least the money went to a good cause. And yes, these were studio pictures. The “studio” was a tiny, cramped and hot 9x9 bedroom at the photographer’s house. They husband and wife team took our lead and only did the poses that I suggested. The only pictures that were taken were when A was looking (and smiling) directly at the camera. If you have ever tried to photograph a 7 mo old, then you know that they are constantly on the move. And it was HOT. I mean, dripping in sweat hot. Plus, they wanted us to pose in front of a grey and blue marble-esq background. Gag me. (I had her switch it over to a solid white background)
We have to go back in 2 weeks to look at the pictures. At the photographers house. Um...… How will I be able to criticize the pictures when the photographer is in the same room with us? Hopefully we got a couple of good shots. Cross your fingers.
What I really want to do is hire Lauren Larsen Photography. I found out about her from a friend and I am in love with her stuff. I have already told Mr. that we are going to hire her for family pictures this spring.






8 Additional Thoughts:
The best photos are taken when all subjects are natural and enjoying themselves. Trust your instincts and book the "wish session" come Spring. You will be very glad you did!
I completely agree with you. I HATE studio photos! My mom just made us go take some yesterday and I would have rather had my teeth pulled. I like those last photos alot.. Very nice!
Beautiful shots! Well done.
Oh gosh - I know exactly what you mean about studio pictures. They can be bad. Though, I've seen a few exceptions which turn out great, most of the remind me of my own Olan Mills baby pictures circa 1981. Not awesome. Hope you're pleasantly surprised. And if not, I hope you get your Lauren Larsen pictures in the spring!
I would call myself a photography snob too! Nothing worse than a forced pic, right? Love theses pics...so casual, calm and naturally beautiful!
XOXO
What! 7 months old!?! Crazy. I fully support your judgement and the love of that photographer.
I totally agree. I refuse to have any cheesy studio photographs taken of Benjamin. We have his 6 month pictures already scheduled. Yay!
I'm with you on this one. Just got Lila's newborn pictures back and love them!
Post a Comment