Monday, October 5, 2009

My cold & dark heart

Last night my cold, dark heart began to thaw out… just a little. Last night’s episode of Brothers and Sisters did just that. (No spoilers here…) And it got me to thinking about how my life has changed since Miss A was born.

I used to never cry or tear up. I don’t like to cry. It gives me a headache, makes my eyes puffy and my mascara ends up all over my face. BUT now I get a lump in my throat at the most random things –

ASPCA commercials – lump
Josh Groban songs – lump
Brothers and Sisters and Grey’s Anatomy – double lump

And I hear stories on the news and the mama bear comes out in me… big time. I want to protect her. I want to do bad, bad things to people that harm or hurt children. I want her to grow up surrounded by people that are head over heels crazy about her. I never want bad things to happen to her. I want to protect her for all the evil in the world. I have only been a parent for 7 months, but I was in tears last night listening to Sally Field/Nora Walker at the end of the show. Something happened to me on 3/10 and I am not the same person I used to be.

If I keep this up for too much longer I am going to become a sap….. or have a lot of wrinkles.

The Preppy Baby also has a great post about this very thing.

**I am not going to be a crazy controlling or overbearing parent because we all know those kids end up in major therapy**

NEW pictures over at Baby M.

17 Additional Thoughts:

Perfectly Imperfect said...

I can't even imagine how I'm going to feel about my little one. I'm also not so much the emotional type, but even now, just thinking about something hurting him/her, gets me all fired up inside. I guess that's what happens!

Classy Fab Sarah said...

Wow, if having a kid makes you more emotional... ohh boy I'm in for something craazy!

Brothers & Sisters totally made me cry last night too!!

Uncommon Blonde said...

I know exactly how you feel! I get emotional over the silliest things now and want to keep my sweet baby girl with me all of the time so nothing can ever hurt her.

Suburban prep said...

The episode of Brothers & Sisters got to me last night as well. But probably for a different reason. I have a sister who was diagnosed with Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma in October 2000. In December 1999 she had given birth to a little girl who passed two hours later. Then when she was told she had cancer she was 2 months pregnant. With the chemo and radiation she was unable to maintain the pregnancy. Six months after the initial diagnosis she was given the clear. Then six weeks later it came back stronger than ever. A bone marrow transplant was the thing she needed. A sibling is usually the best match (out of the 7 of us none of us were a match). This past weekend my sister went to the wedding of her bone marrow donor. The flower girl in the wdding was my 6 yr old niece that my sister and brother-in-law adopted and named after my sister and the bone marrow donor.
So the show kind of brought me back to when my sister was first diagnosed.

A.B. said...

Also not emotional (except when I am)... I can't watch those ASPCA commercials. Anything with animals really... gets me every time.

Lauren said...

ha ha ha ha ha... you cry at Josh Groban? really?

Lindsay said...

Oh great, I'm already a cry baby now..when I have a baby I'll be a faucet! haha

Susan D. said...

I don't want Brothers & Sisters, but I have definitely been changed since becoming a Mom. You never knew that Mama Bear instinct is so true until you become one. Enjoy ... and enjoy that little 7-month-old bundle of love! : )

Solar Powered said...

Amen! I had to turn Grey's off last week. Motherhood changes everything, in a good way.

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Awe, I can't wait to become a mama so I can feel these things as well about my little one.

Glamorous Newlywed said...

Awww... I'm not even pregnant, but I'm starting to tear up a little bit :)

EC said...

Oh that episode just made me bawl. I've always been an easy crier, so that episode just had me in crocodile sized tears. And yes, I cry at commercials.

lisagh said...

I was bummed by what happened on Brothers and Sisters as well... but all I could think about when Sally was crying at the end was her in Steel Magnolias at her daughter's funeral. Now THAT movie always chokes me up!

The Mrs. said...

OMG it's the same for me. I am just a bog crybaby!

The Shabby Princess said...

Awww, you're a great mama who wants the best for your lil lady--and of course you're not the same person you were before she came along, but, that's OK and that makes life that much better, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Great post! My husband and I laugh because pre-baby he had only seen me cry a handful of times. Post-baby it seems like I cry a few times a week!!

I meant to e-mail you about this too, I would love to have you design a new header for the preppy baby blog. I'll e-mail shortly with details.

Happy Wednesday!

Prissy Southern Prep said...

Amen!! It is so crazy to think about all of the changing a baby can do to their mommy...for the better, of course!!

 
custom blog design