Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Puppy Love

This Saturday we are probably going to go look at puppy Golden Doodles. LOOK being the key word. As much as I would love to bring home a new puppy, the rational side of my brain snaps into gear and brings me back to reality. A puppy and baby at the same time? Maybe not a good idea.


(I had this breed picked out long before there was even talk of the First Dog..... Maybe we could have a puppy play date with Sasha and Malia)
If you have a dog and a baby, which came first? The dog or the baby?

25 Additional Thoughts:

Colby said...

I am 28 weeks pregnant with 2 dogs and I can't fathom raising a puppy along with bringing home a newborn. Squlech the impulse now! :) I am still a bit concerned about how we will handle 8 crazy legs and a baby. I think that owning a dog(s) is wonderful, but it's very time consuming initially. Good luck either way!

Adventures in Newlywed said...

Oh oh oh oh! Cutest puppy EVER! They are a LOT of work though, we have a 2 year old dog and he is kind of a handful sometimes. I can't imagine having a puppy too! Then again, it might be good to get the puppy now and get it settled before the baby comes?

Mrs. Hibit said...

Once you look into their precious little eyes, it will be so very hard to say no! I've been begging to go puppy-looking for awhile now, but we are resisting even going until we know we are ready to take one home.
Good luck, either way! They are just precious!

Muffy said...

What a cutie!

Preppy Money Penny said...

Whew! I would go crazy with a puppy and a baby. We got our puppy first, and I swear he has just started to act like a "big dog" 4 years later. I didn't like having a puppy as much as I thought I would...I'll definitely get a young dog, but not a puppy the next time around.

Tippy said...

MAYBE not a good idea? Definitely not a good idea. My advice is not even to look. I could never go look at puppies without bringing one (or two!) home. Bad idea jeans! (remember that SNL skit?)

AEOT said...

No dog or baby yet, but we're going to get a puppy in June, and, since I'm not preganant yet, the puppy will come first!! I can't wait!

Shannon said...

I don't have a dog, but I don't think a new puppy and a newborn (especially your first!) are a good combo. We're waiting on a dog until Anna begs us for one.

I would say -- if you think you have a weak spot for a puppy, stay away! You may fall in love.

Also you may have issues with the cat adjusting to the dog and that would be a whole other world of drama that wouldn't be the most relaxing at this point!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

have you seen the gorgeous golden doodle on my blog from Erin Vey photography? :)

yeah--- you could do it NOW and train that puppy quickly before your baby (GIRL) arrives. but dealing with a baby and a piddling puppy might be rough. my 3 year old golden retriever chewed up all of my mail today and brought a stick into the house that he destroyed under my dining table. i'm having a bad dog day so maybe you shouldn't listen to me. :(

Lindsay said...

Ohh how adorable I wouldn't be able to resist..They are my favorite dogs! Although I can only imagine having a baby and a puppy at the same time..could be an interesting challenge!

Gracie Beth said...

I have know a lot of people who have gotten dogs when they were pregnant, and the best outcomes were when people adopted older dogs that were already housebroken, so they didn't have to worry about taking a puppy out and tending to a baby.

Solar Powered said...

looks like it's a majority and i love my dogs more than anything but am already worried about their "neediness" with a baby in the house. however you seem like a brave woman - it could be done. can you really go look and not bring one home? I couldn't.

Solar Powered said...

looks like it's a majority and i love my dogs more than anything but am already worried about their "neediness" with a baby in the house. however you seem like a brave woman - it could be done. can you really go look and not bring one home? I couldn't.

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

So freaking cute!

Susan D. said...

We have 2 dogs and 2 babies. We look crazy when we are all on a walk together. Dogs were first ... they will be 5 years old in March, babies are almost 8 months. Those golden doodles and labradoodles are so cute, but I would think very long about buying one now. We treated our dogs like children & I will be the first to admit that they are a little neglected these days. I think it would be fun to get a pet when your child is over ... they can learn to help with feeding, walking, etc. : ) Have fun!

icing on the cake said...

How cute! I wonder if you might be able to adopt an older golden that is already housebroken? That might be a little easier on you with the new baby? Or, another cat? I really enjoy my two little guys, and I think they'll keep each other entertained once the baby arrives!

Trish said...

Don't even look! I vote for waiting. Babies and puppies are both very labor-intensive.

Incidentally, our dog was almost 4 years old when my first was born and that was barely old enough - but at least she'd had all her obedience classes, could follow commands, was housebroken and would sleep thru the night. But she still wanted to go for 2 hour walks or play fetch all day and I just. couldn't. do. it. with the baby.

Lauren said...

I got my dog as a bonus with my fiance... he's a basenji mix and he's super smart. He doesn't bark and he cleans himself like a cat... he's pretty low maintenance. BUT I never had to train him as a puppy. And no babies for me for a good few years.

The Shabby Princess said...

Oh, so, so, so cute!!! We might be getting a new puppy soon, but, we don't have kids yet... I can't offer any advice... Boo on me...

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I tried that...puppy AND baby! It's tough.

The Cape House said...

That little one is just adorable! We had an adult dog when I was born. When she died, we got a puppy. Some of my best childhood memories involve that puppy. It is so fun to grow up together.

Kate said...

So so cute! Two of the families I babysit for got puppies within their baby's first year. It works for some people I guess!

RED said...

Those dogs are so cute! I've read good things about their behavior and all that good stuff. I could never look without taking home. Puppies are so, so cute!
I want a dog in the worst way, but Gabe's not on board. My lifestyle really doesn't work with having a dog anyway, but I'm counting down the days. already have the name picked out and everything!
You'll make the right choice - only you know what that is!

Rachel said...

I can't imagine having a baby and a puppy at the same time. I also can't imagine going to look at puppies and not bringing one home. You have way more will power (or confidence in your will power) than I do!

Girl Meets Beau said...

Oh my word!! That is so stinkin' cute! I have a labradoodle and have been obsessing over goldendoodles for a while now too! I would love to get ours a friend, but she is still a puppy herself and it's hard enough to keep track of 1! Good luck and take pics if you go see them :)

 
custom blog design