
Next week we leave for a week long beach vacation! I love the beach and I am hoping that Miss A loves the beach as much as her mama. And if she doesn't, there will be plenty of other people around to give me some time to worship the sun. Seriously, I can be out from sun up to sun down and love every second of it.
Plus, Miss A is going on her first plane ride! Do they still give out wings to little kids/babies when they fly? She needs some to go into her baby box. (Yes, baby box. A big brown box with all of the mementos -- I am not a scrapper)
Anything I need to know to make the flight a little easier with an almost 4mo old? Right now we am planning on strapping her into the Baby Bjorn and only using the stroller when we have to. Hopefully my AA status will help us out and give us priority bulkhead seating. One thing I know for sure, she is going to be dressed super cute. It is hard to get mad at a sweet little baby when she is dressed cute - right?
Oh yeah... and packing. Ugh. I HATE packing for myself, but now I have to pack for the both of us. At least her clothes are small and I can bring lots and lots of options. It is the **other stuff** that is making my head spin.... stroller. car seat. pack n play. Bumbo (for the beach). monitor. toys. diapers. milk/formula. bottles. Holy moly. Looks like I am going to be making a trip to Target once we get there because I would much rather just buy some of this stuff.


10 Additional Thoughts:
From what I hear they do still give out wings and some airlines give out a certificate signed by the pilot and co-pilot. My daughter got them 5 years ago on her first flight and I still have them. You might have to ask though. I would deffinently just pack enough diapers, formula, wipes to last you for the flight and the first day. That stuff takes up a lot of room. You do have to fill out a tag for your stroller I would get that as soon as you arrive at your departing gate. Also a perk of have a child. You board with first class. Woo hoo. Hopefully you will get 3 seats to yourself that will help you out some. Hope all this helped.
My Mom also had a baby box for us. Which turned into a few boxes. I will totally be the same way. Scrap booking just isn't for me.
We flew a lot when my brother was a very small baby, and my mom just had to be sure to either feed him or give him a pacifier while the plane took off and landed so his ears did not pop.
In my former life, I was a flight attendant so I have a few words of wisdom:
Let the gate agent know you have a lap child (if you didn't buy her a ticket) and they will hopefully give you an extra seat if one is available. It is far more comfortable for everyone if you have an extra seat. If this is the case, take your car seat on board; it will need to go in the window seat. If you're not able to get an extra seat just know you cannot use the Bjorn when the seatbelt sign is on.
I think this is a very useful site www.jetwithkids.com and I suggest you go under 'Books' and read the free chapter entitled 'Lap Child'. I don't suggest this to scare you but I do think every parent should be informed. Injury is rare but it happens more often than you think.
I hope you have great flights and a great vacation!!!
My NUMBER ONE rule is to dress your baby as cute as possible. And it can't hurt to dress yo'self up cute, too! But don't bother with shoes for baby A(not sure if you would have) because you'll just have to take them off!
AA does not provide bags for your carseat if you are checking it. I was anal enough to bring a contractor (trash) bag for them to wrap it up. Delta and Southwest provides these bags but AA does not and it is very hard on your carseat to go through that "naked". (We did have to do it once, it was filthy afterwards.)
Agreed on the bjorn -- I used the stroller as a "stuff carrier" and used the sling as the "Anna carrier". You have to fold the stroller up and put it through security and then get a ticket at the gate to "gate check" the stroller, which you leave right at the door to the airplane.
I have preferred not to sit in bulk head seats because they make you put EVERYTHING up above while you're taking off/landing, and I've found it easier to be discreet while nursing smooshed in by a window.
Don't wear white on the plane. Bring extra clothes for the baby in your carry-on. Isn't it the rule that as long as you have a spare, nothing will happen to the outfit they have on?
The changing tables on the airplanes suck so try to change her before you get on. Give yourselves alot of extra time. Bring her shot record if you've got one. She still looks really little so they may not make a big deal but GAH they sure did on our last trip to California.
American will let you pre-board, but if ever you fly with Southwest they DO NOT let you preboard anymore -- just between the A and B groups which isn't that helpful.
I'm sure y'all will have a wonderful trip. Relax! You'll do great :) Most people are really nice and helpful when they see new parents traveling with a little one.
Sorry this is so long! Should've just emailed you!~S
Why can't someone create an inflatable bumbo? seriously ... that would make my life 100 times easier ... then we could have them whenever and wherever we needed them! :)
We shipped a bunch of stuff to the beach when we went a few weeks ago. It helped a LOT!
Have a great trip. I, too, can sit on the beach from sun up till sun down - nothing better. I can't wait to hear how traveling with A turns out and yes, cute outfits are a must!
please let me know how it all goes! i'm scared of flying with all that stuff-- especially now that fees for extra luggage are astronomical!
Im not sure where you are going, but we go to Destin every year. We found a company that we rent baby items from...so once we get to our condo in Destin, there is a high chair, pack and play, swing, bouncer chair, etc. Check to see about that! I just bring a sheet for the pack n play. It makes things SO much easier! When our little boy first went to the beach, we took the rented bouncer chair down to the beach and put him under an umbrella...he loved it and took naps under it too!
Good luck! I know you'll handle it fabulously--and enjoy an awesome beach vacation :)
Post a Comment