I am one of those women that does not like being pregnant. People are constantly asking me “do you just love being pregnant???” And when I respond with “no, not so much…” I think I throw people for a loop. They do not know how to react to hearing that. Don’t get me wrong – I am excited about what will be here in March, just not excited with what is going on right now. And this is why I am not a fan of pregnancy….
My feet feel as though they are being smashed into pancakes with every step I take and they are numb a lot of the time.
Heart burn. The only other time in my life that I had it was when I was drinking Diet Coke like it was water.
Clothes. Who exactly designs these things? They are hideous.
I limit myself to one caffeinated beverage a day… I want more.
And I want wine.
Just because my stomach is sticking out, that does not mean you have free liberty to touch me. Hands off.
I am big and I do not like it. Yes, yes, yes I know I am growing a human life, but I still do not like being big.
Any advice to help me make it through the next couple months?


27 Additional Thoughts:
hah i just laughed out loud at the part where people think it is completely ok to touch a pregnant woman's stomach! it's so true, hands off! hope you feel better :)
Oh, I know. Here are my thoughts:
1. Exercise every day. Even if it is just a 20 minute walk outside, it does wonders for your mood and does help the slightest tiniest bit with the weight gain. MAKE YOURSELF do it! I swam every single day for the last trimester and my weight loss slowed down tremendously AND I had such a quick recovery. (And I gained 65 pounds so you know I wasn't like one of those swallowed-a-basketball people!)
2. Pedicures and Massages. They will never feel so good in your life! And you have the time now, do it! (Treat yourself to at least ONE good pedicure at a spa, not a strip-mall pedicure.)
3. You will forget. It seems impossible, but as soon as that baby is in your arms (and out from under your rib cage) your focus will change so fast you won't even believe it. And you'll enjoy a rapid-weight-loss like never before experienced!
Hang in there!
I felt the same way, and I HATED when people thought they could touch me. Hello, who raised these people?!
I'm sorry you're unhappy, but your post was reassuring to me, as I want to have kids, but I dread the whole pregnancy thing. I just assume a stork drop the kid off on my doorstep. It makes me feel a little better to know not everyone is thrilled about the process. Anyway, good luck, and just think: it will all be worth it in the end!
I felt the same way with my own pregnancy 3 years ago. I wish that I had gotten advise because I was absolutely miserable:
1. Shannon is right. Exercise really helped me. I'm not a walker though so I swam a couple of laps every day. The water was wonderful because there was less gravity pull and by the end of the days that I swam, I had feet that were slightly less swollen.
2. I still watched what I ate. I'd have a glass of caffiene every once in a while. I'd have a glass of wine once in a while (if you research it, you'll find that having a glass every couple of days in fine... just don't drink in large quantities). Otherwise I'd limit my meals to pretty bland stuff so that I'd have less heart burn.
3. Go on Etsy.com and buy yourself a treat. I cannot remember who the seller is, but if you search by maternity clothing it might come up. A couple of people sell the cutest maternity shirts that say: Hands off my Belly. And other fun items. I really wish I'd known this. By my 7th month, I snapped at someone who touched my belly: I put my hand on her (flat stomach) and said "oh, how cute!" She looked so shocked and I felt appalled with myself later.
4. Take a day off here and there and do something for yourself - no baby planning, no working, just you. Go get your hair done, nails, spray tan, shop, read a book, get outside, fish, whatever you feel like.
5. Create a countdown. Celebrate every day as you get closer to being 20lbs. lighter and a baby in your arms.
Good luck!
Thanks for your honest take on this. I haven't had kids yet myself, so I have nothing helpful to offer, except to say that I appreciate hearing a straightforward account like this. Hope things ease up soon & people keep their hands off your tummy!
Hi Girlie! We are swap partners. What in the world do you like? Does evrything have to match, giftwrapwise? Do you have a themed tree? Do you hold any events during the holidays? What are you Favorite treats?
girl, I'm right there with ya! It's finally getting better, but i hate the heartburn, want more than one diet coke a day, am tired of having a super sniffer, and am dying to look pregnant so people will stop looking at my stomach and wondering if that's just me or are there actually two babies in there!!! ;-) But when I get a belly they'll probably want to touch it and I don't want that!!!
do people seriously touch you???? that would weird me out so much!! Unfortunately I have never been pregnant but after your little one is born I'll treat you to a glass of wine :)
Hang in there because once it is over an entire new life begins ... I have already forgotten the 8 years I had alone with Coby. It just seems like Lucy has always been a part of our lives.
Do the massage thing for sure - I had 2 but should have done more! We were given the CONAIR hot stone massage kit that I made Coby use on my back weekly ... big help!
p.s. I ruined a lot of my cute shoes by wearing them when my feet where fat ... my advice ... buy pregnancy shoes & don't wear your regular ones unless you want them stretched out.
Sorry but I thought it really sucked the whole time...
i have never been pregnant and hope to have children some day but i am completely afraid of it for every single reason that you mentioned. thanks for such an honest take on your feelings. at least you ARE a cute pregnant woman and it is so exciting that you are going to have the most wonderful baby very soon!
I imagine that is how I will be. Take my Diet Coke away and holy moly...!
I agree with everyone else who finds this refreshing - I have absolutely no desire to be pregnant and would really rather not be (I want the stork to bring me a toddler!) and it's nice to know I'm not the only woman who feels the same way.
One of my friends was pregnant at the end of our last year of law school and every time a stranger touched her she'd say "That's an actionable tort!" It usually creeped them out.
No advice since I've never been pregnant, but I hope you feel better soon!
Also, I think i would/will totally creep me out if I had people touching my stomach!
I am due in March as well. This is really not fun!!!!
Hang in there!!
I AGREE!! I say the say thing when people ask. Of course I think it is amazing and all that jazz and I am very lucky I know--but the heartburn, the "stomach" issues, the expanding belly...it's really not fun. Hang in there! We don't have too much longer! At least we get to eat a lot during the holidays and no one will really notice until the spring.
look at it this way...you are going through all this crap so I can cry when I see my precious grandson or grandaughter for the very first time!
Hang in there!
love u-grumps
Thank God. I feel the same way. It's tough being pregnant, I am exhausted and cranky and MEAN! I'm also HUGE. Joy.
Hang in there, it might get better. I really enjoyed the last trimester of both my pregnancies. Something about being in the homestretch!
I agree with the exercise suggestions. It's such a mood booster. I was on my treadmill the night before I delivered my daughter and had a very easy delivery.
I just found your blog and this post made my day (I'm four months pregnant!). If one more person asks me how much I love being pregnant, I might start crying. I love the little one, but could do without the less than desirable side effects. (Not to mention the very unflattering clothing!)
I've never been pregnant, but I have to admit that a pang of compassion goes through me for pregnant women who get their belly rubbed by random people...
I'm a bit behind on my blog reading but I just had to comment on this post. I feel the same way about being pregnant for the same reasons (and I'm still nauseous every day and get sick at least every other day). I feel guilty about not loving being pregnant especially when people ask me about it. Thanks for your honest post!
I often look at your ticker and think, "See, I'm not too far behind her...I AM making progress!"
Amen, sister!! I always wonder if the people who ask me that question, and then don't get the answer they expect, will think I'm going to be a horrible mom.
Regardless, it will all be worth it in the end. Heck, I'll probably do it all over again a few times! :)
I am also due in March with a little boy and can totally relate! I started to do yoga which was very hard for me to start. I work withy 9 year olds all day and the first trimester and most of the second trimester left me exhausted. I am much happier when I get home from yoga. Plus side is also the number of pregnant women in our town who are due around this time.
Best of luck darling!
I felt the same exact way! But not to worry, it only lasts for 9 months:)
Post a Comment