Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What's Cookin...


Last night I made tuna cakes (just like crab cakes, but with tuna) and they were delish! I have a killer allergy to shellfish, so this is a great alternative. Plus, the recipe healthy... it is from Cooking Light.

Ingredients (serves 4)
3 cans (6 ounces each) tuna in water, drained and flaked
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup plain dry breadcrumbs (I am going to make this 1/2 cup next time)
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 jalapeno chile (ribs and seeds removed), finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup prepared salsa

Directions
1. In a large bowl, stir together tuna, egg, cilantro, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and jalapeno. Mix gently until ingredients just hold together.
2. Using a packed 1/3-cup measure of tuna mixture per patty, shape into 8 cakes.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Working in batches if necessary, cook cakes until golden brown and crisp on the outside, about 2 minutes per side. Serve hot, accompanied by salsa.

7 Additional Thoughts:

SCM said...

Ohh... those sound good and easy.

Sarah said...

YUM!! It's also really good to do with canned salmon! : )

lisagh said...

Yum! Looks so good. I've used tuna instead of crab for this before as well.

Solar Powered said...

so cooking does exist after baby? my husband keeps asking and i keep saying "i don't see why not" - ha! that looks yummy, i love tuna.

Jenn said...

I love Cooking Light! I'm definitely going to try these.

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

yummy!!!!! let me know how you like the recipe i sent you!

Always Organizing said...

Yummy! I'm definitely going to have to try these!!!

 
custom blog design